Tuesday, December 31, 2019

the man I used to be


Working (for news) was always my go-to on New Years eve and one of the best revenue nights of the year being that idiots seem to be out in force on this night. While others say so-long to a year gone by and ring in the new one, I spent my time getting to and shooting video of those who thought they were invincible. Happy that those days are over for me and I will be spending my NYE right where God intendeds me to spend the rest of my time here on earth, alone, hopefully safe, and with peace of mind.

The past two nights I’ve managed to sleep some and had dreams instead of nightmares indicating the deepest rem sleep had been reached. An improvement I’d say, I’ll take it. Nothing about 2019 to celebrate and 2020 looks terrifying so there’s that. The best I can hope for is an acceptance that this is how life is going to be now and then finding a way to live it in peace and by myself. Caregivers will know about this transition going from all your energy and efforts twenty-four seven going to another life and then overnight your focus is turned completely off of those efforts and doesn’t know where to go. Do I take care of me now is the obvious first question and that feels selfish and uncomfortable. It’s taken me six now going on seven weeks to decide to find a Dr and deal with my own health and even now I have a tough time caring a lot about the outcome.

Older people have always captured my attention but never the way they do now since taking care of my mom. The elderly devise all sorts of ways to manage to get bottle caps open, stirring things well enough, seeing the right oven temps, walking, getting in and out of the shower, reaching for things the list is long and it is entirely heartbreaking. My mom was having trouble swallowing her food and little did I know this was the beginning of what would eventually take her from me. I would cut up her food in tiny little bites and she would try but… Anyway, the list of things one can do to help older people get by on their own is a long one and I feel deeply sad for those who have no one to help them do these things and then just have to give up trying.

The physical downturn leads to a mental downturn and I did my best to help my mom avoid all of that by keeping things she used at eye level, pre-opening all bottle caps and clearing pathways for her to get around with her walker in the house. Probably the best thing I did was to install grip bars in her bathroom and vanity area. She loved them and they enabled her to safely do things she was struggling to do before. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND those for anyone elderly you may know who doesn’t have them. They are worth their weight in solid gold for those who need them.

Mom’s walker. When mom began having some trouble walking she hesitated using the walker that was right here ready to go. Ours is the one with four wheels and a seat (please don’t get the ones with no wheels or only 2 wheels) she could sit down on if she got tired. Once she agreed with my insisting that she try it, she was hooked and it was a godsend. It’s sitting in her third bedroom back there with the fuzzy socks I wrapped around the handles because they made her hands hurt. I want to donate it to someone in need of one and haven’t found that person yet but I’m looking.

Don’t feel much like writing today and it kind of feels like it might not be the greatest day. I’m not bothered by people celebrating a new year coming but it does remind me that mine will always be remembered as the greatest loss of my entire life. There is nothing left to lose but my own life from here on out and in an odd way that is somewhat comforting knowing nothing will ever be as devastating to my time here on earth. The hardest thing for me to do now is to learn how to live with a shattered heart.

My sweet precious mom, I love and miss you so terribly much-

No comments:

Post a Comment

so there's that. 2024

 I wanted to use this forum to remind myself of the important things that happened in 2024. I decided to break ties with American Airlines b...